Thursday, May 6, 2010

Limitations and compensations

Burn Club tonight, and I learned something new about myself.

Firstly, I practiced with double staff again and managed to incorporate some dance moves for the first time. It's a performance, after all, not just a demonstration of tricks. Got an eyeful of one of the planet's best fire-spinners (single staff), who was there with a couple of students. No joke, his ordinary practice stuff was Cirque du Soleil, world-class jaw-dropping stuff. Wow.

"Sensei" brought his brand-new "floating" sword, a burn tool in the form of a sword but balanced like a staff at a point in the haft. Very fun to play with. I was trying to balance it on my palm and failing when Sensei pointed out that I had no depth perception. I couldn't tell when the brass pommel was moving toward me, so I couldn't compensate.

Honestly, I had no idea that my depth perception was so minimal. After some discussion, we agreed that my advanced math/physics/spatial relations abilities must have compensated for me in my developmental years, without me thinking about it. Hence, I could play lacrosse no problem (angles, trajectories), but couldn't walk a balance beam (can't see how far the beam is from my foot when one foot is raised).

Kinda explains why I have to curl my toes over the lip of the top stair of the staircase, every time I want to start down. Huh.

Felt despondent for a few minutes, convinced that my mother was right: Anatomy *is* destiny. Contemplate *that* piece of indifferent despair with me, go ahead. Then I figured out that if I watched the reflection of the street lights in the brass pommel, and kept them in the same proportion to the angle of the haft, then the sword would necessarily have to be upright.

Wouldn't you believe it... balance.

TAKE THAT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment