Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A strange new hobby that frightens my mother

Well, that's hardly any procrastination at all, by my standards. It's April! (still, for a little while). And I have a new topic to talk about.

For the last month or so, I've been frequenting a Burn Club weekly meeting. That is to say, I've been paying dues and showing up to a place where amateur and professional folk practice spinning fire on the tips of swords, staffs, "poi" (balls at the end of chain) and other things.

It's fascinating and weirdly calming. Nobody's more zen than somebody holding open flame in their hands and sending it twisting through the night air. Everyone is very focused. I like being around so many really *focused* people. Also, hey, things on fire.

I've been practicing with a staff. Kind of fulfilling my early Robin Hood fantasies and my nascent pyromania, all at once. Not lighting up yet, though.

I'll keep you posted.

Hat status: +1 green straw cowboy hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment